Pages

The Fear of Loss

. Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Of all the things that scare us, fear of loss seem like the most terrifying. At times, I’ve thought about it with such dread that it’s felt overwhelming. Loss, whatsoever of any kind is always a tough thing to bear. Especially if the entity has been personal or close to you, the loss just creates a perpetual void in your life and soul. Humans always seek to be running from this fear. It has something that has been daunting people and civilizations for ages. It's this fear that sets us on the back foot.

There are greater loss and small losses, but then there are these everyday losses: If I don’t do this, will I lose someone’s respect? If I don’t do that, will I lose my own? If I don’t go, will I lose some as of yet unknown opportunity? If I don’t stay, will I lose my sense of comfort and security? I might even go so far to say that whenever I fear something, loss is at the root of it. I suspect I’m not alone.

These are our own fear which comes riding back into town, ready to avenge us for casting it out. We have treated fear as the enemy, so it has gone into fighting mode. In fighting mode, fear is ruthless. In fighting mode, fear attacks by pulling us into a dark and catastrophic drama where we become so panicked and terrified that we can’t ignore the fear any longer.

The question that lingers is how to combat this fear ? Well it's something that I still don't have too much of clarity on.

0 comments:

 

^